World Class Excellence
UWC has achieved excellence in a number of research areas. In particular, UWC:
- is the only place in Africa undertaking comprehensive work on the hydrogen economy, researching the use of hydrogen as an energy resource, instead of fossil fuels.
- is the African leader in bioinformatics. The South African National Bioinformatics Institute (SANBI) is one of a small group of comparable top-level centres worldwide, and hosts Africa`s only Cray supercomputer. SANBI conducts cutting-edge research into key diseases facing Africa.
- is a leader in biotechnology with a special interest in the genetics of life forms that thrive in extreme conditions, and their implications for our understanding of microbial molecular ecology.
- holds the UNESCO Chair in Geohydrology, and plays a leading role in networks across Africa in water resource research and training.
- has the largest and most productive School of Mathematics and Science Education in Africa.
- is home to the International Centre for Indigenous Phytotherapy Studies (TICIPS), a UWC-University of Missouri project exploring the interface between indigenous knowledge systems and empirical science.
- has three World Health Organisation (WHO) collaborating centres for capacity development, teaching and research in dentistry, pharmacology and public health.
- has a Centre for Humanities Research, exploring humanities theory about social and cultural transformation in southern Africa and the continent.
- offers a Master’s degree in International Trade Law as a joint initiative with several South African and international partners.
- is a leader in constitutional and human rights law, with a special interest in children’s rights.
- is involved in a joint archive project with the University of the Witwatersrand and King’s College in London to digitise the archives of UWC Chancellor, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.
- is home to Africa’s main centre for Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) development, and several pioneering information and communication services projects of international scope.